Favorite Sad Song

8057 reads

What's your favorite sad song to play, it seems to cheer you up - or maybe not. Maybe you just like the melody. For me I like the Stephen Foster song 'Hard Times Come Again No More' and I'm trying to learn the Norman Blake song 'Chasin' Rainbows.'

ResoRob... Squareneck slider

None

Comments

I'm So Lomesone I Could Cry

Randy

gone.

ResoRob:
What's your favorite sad song to play, it seems to cheer you up - or maybe not. Maybe you just like the melody. For me I like the Stephen Foster song 'Hard Times Come Again No More' and I'm trying to learn the Norman Blake song 'Chasin' Rainbows.'

That's a tough one, there are so many good ones! 'I'm So Lonesome' STILL kills me when I hear the 60's pop version. Good call.

I'm not one for slow paced songs in general, though. Sad now, that's a different story!!!

Recently, because I recently just HEARD these two tunes for the first time (I am some 20 years behind on SOME things) . . . I have fallen in love:

Age, by Jim Croce. As sung and performed by Tony Rice and The Bluegrass Album Band sometime in what, the mid 80's, I think? That song just knocks me out every time I hear it. Still lookin for lyrics and chords for that puppy. Think Tony did it in B, or Bb. I'll have it down to sing and accompany in another month or two just from listenin and transcriben one line at a time.

The other, is yet, another Bluegrass Album Band song: One Tear. with Tony Rice, I believe, on lead vocal.

Love that stuff. N there's reso on it, too. Not a bad player, ya think? :lol:

Lately, yet another two tunes have captured my heart, again, I am just a bit behind on some music:

The Nashville Bluegrass Band, doin: Blue Train. Circa, what, early 90's? Man, what lead vocal work, talk about yer smooooottthhhhhhh . . . and what harmonies. That song knocks me out.

And, I gotta say, this last one MUST be my favorite sad song, cuz, I can't seem to get but half a line into it without tears in my eyes. I mean it. Every phreakin time, I tear up. Wayne Taylor of Blue Highway makes me cry!!! :lol:

I can't get enough of 'Lonesome Pine.' Over and over again. And I tear up every time, still, in more n three months listenin to it. It don't hurt that THAT song has a pretty good reso player on it, and Blue Highway is at the top of MY fav bands in more modern times.

Maybe it's just my Age, but One Tear comes easy when yer ridin that Blue Train n dreamin about the Lonesome Pine . . . . :sniffle:

The Sun's Shining, The Bird's Are Singing, N My Glass Is Half Full. That's My Story, And I'm Stickin To It!

Patsy Kline's version of "I Can't Help It (if i'm still in love with you)".

Gram's original version of "Love Hurts"

Steve Earle's "Over Yonder"

Favorite sad song?

I guess it would be the last one that made me cry.

And that would be yesterday. I had some free time yesterday afternoon so I picked up my dobro to play along with a CD here at home. I reached for the CD "Hand Picked, 25 Years of Rounder Bluegrass" and put on disc one.

Track 5 came up...Hazel Dickens "West Virginia, My Home"

Man alive...it got to me good. That one will make an Idaho spud cry.

And you know...now that I think about it, this same thing happened several months ago one night with a Hazel Dickens song, and I was playing along with a CD again. The song that time was "Hills of Home" from the Rounder collection "Blue Trail of Lonesome". The same thing happened...I just "teared up" real good!

I wonder what it is about Hazel Dickens and those 2 songs? The subject matter is very sad, of course, and she has such a soulful voice.

Dont anyone tell me bluegrass people dont sing "the blues" :D

If your missing the "old homeplace" I wouldnt reccomend listening to either of those 2 songs if you are driving or operating heavy machinery! lol!

Mike

I still call it a Dobro...sue me!

Dobroguy:
Favorite sad song?

I guess it would be the last one that made me cry. . . . .
I wonder what it is about Hazel Dickens and those 2 songs? The subject matter is very sad, of course, and she has such a soulful voice.

Dont anyone tell me bluegrass people dont sing "the blues" :D . . . Mike

Dang, great post, and good calls there, on those two tunes! Well done, hoss! :lol:

Now I gotta go FIND that stuff, in the used bin, at my local hip hop record store with a small country/bluegrass section . . . . :wink:

larue...

I mentioned those 2 Hazel Dickens songs, and you said...

good calls there, on those two tunes!

You must be familiar with those. They'll bring memories back real good, thats for sure. Particularly if you are from this part of the country, like I am. But really it doesnt matter, I dont think. "The Old Homeplace" can be anywhere where someone is raised and remembers fondly.

Another one that got to me recently was while I was driving and a radio station played the Dale Ann Bradley version of "Oh Danny Boy". I've heard that song many times, as we all have, in my life, and it never did anything for me. Many times other versions actually sound kinda corny.

But when Dale Ann sings it, and its in a bluegrass style setting, it just becomes a brand new song. Very very touching.

Mike

I can't help but chime in on this one. For me it is impossible to pick an absolute favorite sad song, 'cause I'm way too sensitive to that kind of thing. I can think of maybe hundreds of songs that would make a good infomercial product; "Music to Jump Off A Bridge By."

But, there is a song that was performed by an obscure duo called Small Potatos that is by far one of the most thought provoking, heart rending pieces I have ever heard. Since I am traveling today and unable to look at the liner notes I can't tell you the composer, but do a bit of research on this one. It's titled "A Thousand Candles, a Thousand Cranes."

Listen to the words, to Jacquie's remarkable voice, to Rich's almost unbelievable guitar work, and I dare you to not be overcome by emotion.

A word about Small Potatos; these two folks are amazing, doing everything from, as Jacquie puts it, "Celtic to Cowboy, unless you're from Boston, then it's Seltic to Sowboy!" Rich is one of the best guitarists I have ever heard, and seeing him play in person is a joy. If you ever get the chance, do it!

ST in VT

My favorite sad song to play? It would have to be Faded Love. Keep it simple, stick with the melody and even a beginner like me can do it.

Willie's picture

I'm like Stoney, it's hard for me to pick a favorite *anything*! But one sad song that's probably close to my favorite is Clay & Ottie by Tim Stafford. It's just so sad to me that they had to sell the farm to get Ottie back home and then the father (and the whole family) never recovered from it. And it's a true story that happened to Tim's wife's family.

User login