Dobro Capo Review

5053 reads

gone.

None

Comments

VTdobro's picture

Leno Capo. Wayyyyy too big, gets in the way.
Two hands to put on. Rubber rots away quickly.

DeNeve capo. Sounds great. Easy to put on.
Quite massive and heavy.

Liberty/ Bringe style (Hard to find) Small,
one handed operation, can be stored clamped
to strings behind nut. good sound.

Gee! I have used a Leno capo for years. I was fortunate to get replacement rubber of the proper size. It works fine - and does not get in the way.

I also have the later square flat Beard capo - It works fine, but the tone is better with the Leno.

Floyd

I've been accused of slanted playing.

I agree with VTdobro on the Leno.
I'm being told that the Bradley capo is terrific (and expensive). Has anyone tried the Bradley and willing to give a report. If the capo is as good as his bars then he has another winner.

Rob

ResoRob... Squareneck slider

Floyd:
Gee! I have used a Leno capo for years. I was fortunate to get replacement rubber of the proper size. It works fine - and does not get in the way.
I also have the later square flat Beard capo - It works fine, but the tone is better with the Leno.

Floyd

That has been my experience also. Resophonic Outfitters have replacement tubing for the Lenos. I replaced mine and it is as good as new.

gone.

What an interesting link! It looks to me like the Deneve (which I like a lot) relates to the Beard in the same way the Liberty relates to the Huckabee. The Deneve has the same sort of mass as the Bradley, though.

Pete
Pete Woodman Guitars

Tried the Schubb, didn't like it as it never fit either of my resos. Have a Beard and it's OK, but I use the Leno all the time. I agree that it is in the way a bit, but so is the Beard. The major reason I use it is because I actually like the sound of my guitars with the capo in place. Not the case with either of the others. I want to try a Flux, but have to wait for my birthday! :D

Skip

Lee Hiers's picture

I use the Bradley...I've got two in case I lose one. They're the best as far as I'm concerned - tone is great because of the mass, and they're easy-on easy-off with one hand. The DeNeve looks good, but I tried one at IBMA and didn't like it as much as I thought I would - it was a little stiff, and actually flattened the windings on the strings when I tightened it...there may be some adjustment for that, but I didn't see it.

The problem with the Bradley is that for some folks it gets in the way...it's pretty large. I got used to it fairly quickly, and hate using anything else.

Beard's are OK. Leno is OK, but not as good as the Beard. Fluxcapo less good still. Shubb is only OK if you have the right string height and neck thickness...otherwise it's no good at all. The Huckabee is a joke.

The Junior Barber capo is the best...I'm just not good enough for it!

Lee

I first got a Flux capo and works fine is fairly small, easy on and off. Got a Wilson from Phil Leadbetter back in Nov. Good mass, brass with adjustable pressure adjustment. I think it has a much better tone than my Flux and not a whole lot bigger.

I've been using a Beard for a long time.(you can tell...it lookes like its been run over by a train or something!) Sometimes the 1st string buzzes a bit, but a quick additional turn of the skrew seems to take care of it.

I like it because the reso sounds good with it, it is easy to use and only requires one hand. And...does anyone else do this?...on songs that dont require a capo I lay it right on the top of the dobro between the 14th and 18th frets. Since the dobro slants down when playuing standing up it lays on the top and against the top edge of the fretboard.

The rubber seems to keep it right in place until its needed again.

Mike

I still call it a Dobro...sue me!

User login