Looking for recommendations on instructional materials

877 reads

I have the Rob Ickes two-DVD set, and I've learned a lot from it.

But there things I'm still looking for more info on.

Specifically, Rob approaches soloing from a scale-based point of view. While this is informative and obviously works well, I have been learning by ear from records, and tend to think in terms of licks and runs when I solo.

I would like to find instructional materials (books, videos, DVDs, etc.) that focus on a repertoire of licks and runs.

All suggestions are appreciated.

None

Comments

Carter1's picture

John -

You may want to check out "The Dobro Workbook" by David Hamburger. It's an excellent study guide for licks, techniques, and improvisation.

I wrote a review on this book awhile back - it's in the "Music Theory & Practice Methods" section of this forum. There's additional information about this book there. Best of luck!

Bob

bobbyk's picture

You could try Jim Heffernans "100 licks" I'm working my way through them now lots of good stuff so far. I'm impressed anyway's.

badger's picture

Michael Witcher's book and CD. Get you up and running in no time.

"You don’t have to be brilliant; it’s enough to become progressively less stupid"  - Marshall Rosenberg

I just got Witcher's book today and thumbing through it noticed that on the subject of rolls (page 5) he has 9 quarter notes per measure (track 20 & 24). On the CD they are the same meter and yes have 9 notes played through once.

The tracks that are 1/8 notes have 8 notes and the CD plays through the measure twice.

That I get, but why 9 notes in a mesure for 1/4 notes. Perhaps he is not indicating a measure but merly a pattern to practice. But if so you've still got 2 measures plus one note. Someone once told me it was good policy to practice your rolls in 2 measure patterns. Can anyone help me with this.

Guess I better get back on my medication.

ResoRob... Squareneck slider

badger's picture

...I assume that the groups of nine notes are practice arpeggios and aren't necessarily meant to be counted out in time, that is, they won't conform to measures. Typically a roll will be eight eighth notes or some other measure-filling combination

See Ivan's stuff on rolls posted somewhere on this site. BTW, the instructional mat'l that he gave out at our workshop was great; don't know if he has it available somewhere.

I have been using Stacy Phillips books and CDs as well as Dan Huckabees' books and CDs on Josh Graves. I am a huge Graves/Auldridge/LeRoy Mack fan and I have found this material to be reaaly good.

hobofrank's picture

I've got the Mike Auldridge basic video and I think its excellent. I'm a guitar player already so I pick up what he is teaching pretty quickly. It's a little pricey but worth it IMHO.

gone

User login