Something new at Mckenna guitars!!!!

Comments

MarkinSonoma's picture

Might be true. There isn't a whole lot of "science" in what makes a brand or make of guitar popular or unpopular. For example, among many reso enthusiasts, Gibson Dobros are shunned like the red-headed stepchild.

I've told the story here before of the time a few years back that I went to a show featuring singer/songwriter Terri Hendrix, and she was accompanied on multiple instruments by Texas music legend Lloyd Maines. Lloyd had a charcoal-finished, F-hole Gibson Dobro that looked an awful lot like the now "retired" Al Perkins model, but there was nothing to indicate signature-wise that it was an "unbadged" Perkins. I got to hang with Lloyd for a bit after the show, as I was on my way back from a music event where I had played my Clinesmith so I had that with me. I had Lloyd try out the 'smith (he really liked it) and I played the Gibson. I have to tell you it was the best Dobro I have come across from the Gibson era, and one of the better sounding resonator guitars I have played in my life. I would love to have one just like it.

My point is that folks who are into instrument these days wouldn't touch a Gibson Dobro with a 10 foot pole, because of the prevailing sentiment that Gibson has been in a long process of destroying the Dobro name. A blanket, sweeping dismissal with which I don't necessarily disagree, but there have been some very good Dobros made since the operation was moved to Nashville in the mid to late 90's.

As Jerry Garcia sang: "Goes to show, you don't ever know..."

Patrick Sylvest's picture

I've heard Lloyd play that very Dobro recently ..... he can make 'er sing!

www.patricksylvest.com

User login