New lives for old strings

2138 reads
LeeHJones's picture

Hi folks -

While changing my strings today, I recalled that at the Strawberry Music Festival they have a box set out near the entrance to the main festival stage area. You can drop old guitar strings in there and they go to the Second Strings Project, which (somehow, beyond my understanding) gets those strings to third-world nations where guitar strings are hard to come by, and expensive when they can be gotten. Couple of questions:

1. Does anybody know anything about the Second Strings Project and if it's legit? I would be more careful about saving and collecting old strings if I really thought they were ultimately going to show up on the guitar (or local version thereof) of some kid in Peru or Afghanistan.
  2. Is it possible that there's a similar need in the ol' US of A? Or is that best served by me writing a check to organizations such as JAM, that bring together kids and musical instruments?

Thanks, Lee

Comments

Jan Newsom's picture

I don't know about the organizations you speak of but I do remember Jerry Douglas saved his old reso strings for those less fortunate.  And, I had a friend way back when who would boil his guitar strings to clean and brighten up the sound when he couldn't afford new ones.  He learned the hard way that you let them air dry rather than dipping them in cold water,Smile  So, it does make sense that someone is collecting old strings.

Jan

Keep on pickin'

Dobrojan

www.myspace.com/dobrojan

Kevin Deame
28 Ladd Road
Ellington CT 06029

Sets only. Google "Second String Project.

Fred

terry harris's picture

LeeHJones:

1. Does anybody know anything about the Second Strings Project and if it's legit? I would be more careful about saving and collecting old strings if I really thought they were ultimately going to show up on the guitar (or local version thereof) of some kid in Peru or Afghanistan.

I'm going to Strawberry on thursday so I'll ask around and check it out.

terry

In July, 1999 Darryl Purpose and Kevin Deame formed "The Second String Project", a campaign to collect and distribute used guitar strings to needy musicians through out the world. This year you can contribute to the "Second String Project" simply by dropping off your used strings at one of the two campground stages, V in the Pecan Groove, or the circus tent with the flashing yellow light known as Stage VI in the West Campground. Please label the strings as "sets" or singles". For more information you can go to darrylpurpose.com

Last summer at the Bluegrass workshop held at Sorrento BC they were collecting used strings to send off to ___ (fading memory at work here). Ivan R is the music (or program {there's that memory again}) director at this camp and might be able to shed some light on this. Jay Jennings will also be there again this year so he may know too.

Jay Jennings's picture

Over the last year the BC acoustic community sent over 200 sets of strings to musicians in Africa and if memory serves the Caribbean.

We ask that sets be put back in a package (preferably the same one that they come out of or the same brand) as it makes it easier for those on the receiving end. They don't always come that way but most of em do.

The recipients are very grateful to get these strings. You wouldn't believe what some of them are playing with.

The collection is year round but Sorrento usually provides a goodly boost.

Play it 100 times you know it 1000 times you own it .... Dobropilot the bad luftpostmeister

Will Andrew's picture

Thought I'd bump this one up. The second String Project is still active for donating used full string sets.

We can mail used string sets to:

Kevin Deame
28 Ladd Road
Ellington CT 06029

Jay Jennings:
The recipients are very grateful to get these strings. You wouldn't believe what some of them are playing with.

This guy would be a worthy beneficiary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_9eMmxBSNY

Michael Barton's picture

Looks like he could use a whole lot more than just strings. I feel bad laughing, but it's hard not to. Very industrious.

Bob Richards's picture

Now there is a guy getting music out of something which we would feel deprived using as firewood. Never can stop the human spirit and it's need to make music.

User login