"One Bad Cat..."

Comments

Dean Upson's picture

I don't claim to have the best ear and I am certainly not the best of players, but I have two Clinesmiths that Todd set up and they sound just fine to meSmile.  I find it difficult to believe that Tooter, Todd, Tim or any of the premium builders do less than a perfect job on their instruments prior to delivery.  That said, if I felt a need in the future to have my instruments re set-up, I would certainly contact Bobby.  The endorsements here speak volumes for his expertise. 

Dean

dobrodoug's picture

I'm sure none of the builders you have listed Dean intend to have an instrument leave their shop anything less than perfect...., but they do.  That's where an individual such as Bobby comes in - he's an impartial third party that strives to achieve reso "set-up perfection".  Maybe things shift in shipment, or they just were distracted by a phone call... who knows - they're just builders, not God's, well except maybe Tim.

Hell, I even had one of the top flight players drop my Clinesmith down a steep mountain top driveway...... oh, crap - that's another story altogether.......

I've gone to workshops and heard plenty of guitars of various builders that sound sub-standard.  All I know is that although my Clinesmith is absolutely beautiful to behold, it lacked quality of sound and volume.  It no longer suffers, thanks to Bobby.

dobrodoug's picture

I'm sure none of the builders you have listed Dean intend to have an instrument leave their shop anything less than perfect...., but they do.  That's where an individual such as Bobby comes in - he's an impartial third party that strives to achieve reso "set-up perfection".  Maybe things shift in shipment, or they just were distracted by a phone call... who knows - they're just builders, not God's, well except maybe Tim.

Hell, I even had one of the top flight players drop my Clinesmith down a steep mountain top driveway...... oh, crap - that's another story altogether.......

I've gone to workshops and heard plenty of guitars of various builders that sound sub-standard.  All I know is that although my Clinesmith is absolutely beautiful to behold, it lacked quality of sound and volume.  It no longer suffers, thanks to Bobby.

martinman54's picture

I had a brand name guitar once that sounded great, right out of the box. But, there was a certain sound that I was after that I knew this guitar possessed......After explaining this to Bobby, over the telephone, he nailed it!

MarkinSonoma's picture

I'm curious what the brand was and what sound you were after that he nailed.

martinman54's picture

Amen Preston....Mark as soon as I get my recording equipment, I'll send you a sound bite.

Lakeview's picture

Bobby's website no longer exists. I would like to get some work done. Does anyone have his updated contact info? Thanks in advance.

Oboe Cadobro's picture

Bobby set up my W/S about 6 years ago and got the best sound out of it that was possible.

Here are the phone numbers I have for Bobby...you might try giving him a call.

Home: 910-327-0877    Shop: 910-330-7277

James Traylor's picture

Lakeview's picture

Thanks for the help.

I just spoke with him. He basically said that he is swamped with work and let his website go as a way to slow things down.  I am going to drop off a guitar with him in a couple of weeks, ( when I go to the Shakori Hills Festival which is a blend of lots of musical forms, it is a lovely festival)  and I told him to take as long as he likes.

User login