Albums I never grow tired of listening to

4924 reads
damon's picture

Skip, Hop, and Wobble - Jerry Duglas, Russ Barenberg, and Edgar Meyer  - love every tune!

Strength in Numbers - Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck, Sam Bush, Mark O'Conner and Edgar Meyer - same!

Not all Who Wander are Lost - Chris Thile, with  Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer, Bryan Sutton, Byron House, Sean $ Sara Watkins, Jeff Coffin - I am requesting at any memorial service held for me that an excellent sound system is rented, and everyone has to sit still and listen to "Raining at Sunset."  What a journey that song takes me on!  But every tune is outstanding.  Love the almost classical vibe of a lot of this album.

Tony Rice Sings Gordon Lightfoot - Vocal stylings are so personal, and  the mood I am in has a great deal to do with who I might enjoy listening to at the moment, even with some of the greats like Maura O'Connel or Alison, younger talent like Aiofe O'Donovan of Crooked Still - or the incredible harmonies of the Seldom Scene or Blue Highway.   But I can listen to Tony anytime, somehow.  It doesn't hurt that Jerry's backup of Tony's vocals are stupifyingly good.

Backwaters - Tony Rice, Wyatt Rice, John Reischman, Fred Carpenter, Todd Phillips - such understated but wonderful jazzy playing!  So cool with lots of oooo's.

Jerry Christmas - Jerry Douglas, and  -  I need to buy the hard copy so I know the other players (it's not on Wikipedia!), but I imagine it's a lot of the usual suspects.  Even in the middle of July I can listen to this whole album again and again!

Hmm, Jerry seems to be on every album but one...I think I'm begining to see a pattern...Smile

Comments

Liam's picture

The Great Dobro Sessions. <3

Allen's picture

I could name a few, for starters anything by the Bluegrass Album Band 

Liam's picture

Anything by Tony Rice.

Liam's picture

Road Song. My favourite solo dobro album by far.

Dean Upson's picture

Great Dobro Sessions, The Seldom Scene, Resophonic Retrospective (Roger Williams), Resolution (Lou Wamp), anything by Josh or Oz.  Many, many more.

Dean

Michael Barton's picture

Bela Fleck - Tales From The Acoustic Planet - Bluegrass Sessions.

Andy Volk's picture

And its opposite, records I never wanna hear again ... ... http://franklarosa.com/vinyl/Exhibit.jsp?AlbumID=78

:)

SB's picture

Andy,

What a hoot!  Ethel Merman sings Disco, Polka Disco and the list goes on!

terry harris's picture

Looking for a throwup emocon Surprised thinking about that stuff

Anyways, I'm liking the Southern Philibuster right now

Ketil's picture

Three Ring Circle, on repeat:-)

User login