Jerusalem Ridge

7302 reads
badger's picture

It's time to tackle this one.  Does anyone have a link to tab, or a favorite reso version?  Thanks for any help.

"You don’t have to be brilliant; it’s enough to become progressively less stupid"  - Marshall Rosenberg

Comments

mtndon's picture

Badger,

I've seen one done by Rob Ickes on youtube, but its pretty daunting. If you can't find it, I'll look for it after work.

Some where between major and minor.

Brad Bechtel's picture

Here's the version that the late Dave Giegerich tabbed out. He tunes his B strings to Bb.
Good luck on this song - I've been working on it as well, and it's a killer.

Michael Barton's picture

I like doing it in A using the minor notes behind the bar. I believe that's how Rob does it. I think there is a recording of that somewhere in the Bluegrass 20__ series.

badger's picture

Thanks - I got the Dave Gingerich version tabbed out in PowerTab.  I've never tried anything with Gm tuning.  Should be interesting!

Michael Barton's picture

I take that back. There is a great version on a CD called Ultimate Pickin, but Rob Doesn;t play on it. I have a version of Rob playing it live from a Folkwest Bluegrass cruise. Betty may have recorded it. I donwnloaded it from Bluegrass Box years and years ago. I think Rob may have also worked up his version for a workshop or class I went to.

Troy Brenningmeyer's picture

Here's a video from last years ResoGathering in Wilkesboro, NC of Lou Wamp and myself playing Jerusalem Ridge. My arr. is basically a lot like Rob Ickes. Check out Lou's harmony he adds towards the end of the video!

www.LESSONSWITHTROY.com ONLINE DOBRO LESSONS AND TAB/DIAGRAMS

Dean Upson's picture

Lou is one of my favorite players......His wife, Lynn plays a real good bass in the video, tooSmile.  Thanks for posting this,Troy.  

Will Andrew's picture

Badger, great tune pick! Sorry I don't have tab, but the sheet music is easily found on the internet or books.   I learnt this one attempting to emulate fiddle in Am, no capo. Note for note  and slowly at first, from a recording of Kenny Baker with Bill Monroe. (did old Bill takes credits on this one?)  Amazing slowdowner is a miracle piece of software for learning.

The challenge with this tune is that is was not written by a dobro player. Once I had all the notes from fiddle at medium temp,  I dobrosized it, because if you ever play this with fiddles, they barn burn it. 

As an example the D part does not layout well on dobro (where it goes to a C chord).  Troy does a great job of of dobrosizing that section.  Lou does an interested dobrosize on the A part. I found the A, B,C and final E sections are possible to play like fiddle, though tough up to tempo, but doable. 

The A part is easier and has a cool dark sound if you start on the lowest A on the G string. The top of the A section can be played on top strings, but getting every note, like fiddle is challenging up to tempo.

The B part I found lays out well. I found using my thumb help clean it up. The final section also lays out well. Good luck with it!

Ketil's picture

No tab, but the ultimate version by Rob and blue highway is on Ross Nickersons solo Banjo album "Let's kick some ass" In the US the album is called "let's kick it", i think:-)

Ketil

dobrodoug's picture

The original US CD was named, "Let's Kick Some Ass".  It was later changed.  Nevertheless, Rob and the guys do tear it up on that CD - good listening!

User login